Wednesday

"The Talk" or just normal dating?

I realized something very important today about dating!! I have been dating a guy for about 5 weeks, we have seen each other about 2 -3 times per week and we are going on fun dates to see live music, play pool, go to unique places the city has to offer.  We have not had sex....yet!  We have fooled around a few times - to be honest, I have had my top off, but not my bottoms.  But now we were at the point where I wanted to have sex with him....

So, now its time for "The Talk" about my ostomy....and how it saved my life, etc.

But what is interesting is that through our dating I mentioned I have Crohn's and was super sick throughout my 20's, but I have not mentioned anything about a life changing surgery, my medical research/awareness evolvement, etc.  Usually I bring some of this stuff up in conversation to "feel him out."  So in order for me to have "the talk" I have to start from the beginning and explain.

So, here we are...on a date Friday night...and Im waiting for the opportunity to start telling him bout my history...

We ended up going to dinner then to see a band play, and there was never the right opportunity to talk about it. I feel like that conversation needs to be in a more intimate setting (like your living room, or even a quiet coffee shop or bar). To make a long story short, we never had "the talk."  We also didn't end up making out heavy at the end of the night (sometimes I think thats a good opportunity to talk about it as well - just depends on your comfort level).

Ok, so now to the important lesson learned....

the next day he started acting weird, that Sunday he canceled our date last minute. On Mon we met for coffee and I hared my feelings that I was hurt that he canceled on me on sun and didnt say "Sorry" or anything.  He apologized, and I explained, that I understand things happen last minute, but at least apologize to me for the fact that Im sitting there dressed and ready to go and you cancel. Everything seemed fine after and we chatted about other things, then we both left. I never heard from him again - its been a week. THIS IS A NORMAL DATING PROBLEM....and had NOTHING TO DO WITH HAVING AN OSTOMY!!!

However, had I have had "the talk" with him I would have automatically assumed his silence would mean that he couldn't deal with my medical problems and ostomy and he was OUT!  When in actuality his silence is probably because I shared my emotions/feelings and he was just looking for something more casual in a relationship.  Once again, this is normal dating problems!!

Sometimes your single because your single, not because you have an ostomy!!!

XOXO


3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. If anyone has got this problem that doesn't mean that his life and emotions are all finished. Nowadays technology is getting advanced to help this problem. Now you can easily find the Ostomy swimwear,Ostomy Lingerie, creams to apply on sensitive area around the Stoma. But thanks for sharing this experience of yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I run the blog Ostomybagswag.com, talking about dating and sex with an Ostomy! Would love to collab with you!

    ReplyDelete